troubleshooting e-mail sent from a server by script

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 15 10:59:54 EDT 2016

Curtis Ford wrote:

 > I've done a project for a client that involves customers filling
 > out a form on a web page, which triggers a script that 1) writes
 > their information to a log file on the server, and 2) sends out
 > confirmation e-mails to the customer and client.
 >
 > It's been working well for quite a while, but every now and then the
 > e-mails aren't received - about one in 10 or 20, according to the
 > client. When I test, everything seems fine.

It might be a technical issue, but sadly those ratios reflect what I'd
read a couple years ago about email systems being so overloaded with
spam filters that it prevents between 5% and 10% of legitimate emails
from reaching their destinations. :(

This discussion shows you're not alone, and the comments describe a wide
range of reasons email is reported as not received:
<http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/growing-number-of-e-mails-sent-but-not-being-received-589186/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems