LC7 and 8 - Non responsive processing large text files

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Apr 14 01:55:21 EDT 2016

> On 14 Apr 2016, at 3:25 PM, Mark Talluto <mark at canelasoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> But reading something into memory using "read from file <filename> UNTIL
>> <string>" and doing this many times over in such large text file creates
>> non-responsiveness of LC (tested on 7 and 8).

It would be interesting to know if the engine were doing lots of encoding conversions in order to test for the string. I must have missed the first email but I’d be interested to know if the file was opened for text or binary read and if an encoding was provided in the command if it was text. If it was binary is performance any better if the until <string> a variable with the same encoding as the binary file? The other thing worth pointing out is if you are doing a text read on an 8 bit encoding the size of your data doubles once read because each character is represented by 16 bits. When you consider the amount of data we are talking about here that will cause a serious slowdown.

Cheers

Monte