Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Apr 13 17:45:38 EDT 2016

> On 14 Apr 2016, at 1:07 AM, Mike Kerner <MikeKerner at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> The process for modifying code and the process for modifying documentation
> should be different.  Git, maybe intentionally, makes it difficult for
> people to work together on documents.  One of the things that Ali and I ran
> into is that he cannot easily make changes to my changes because that's not
> the way git is designed.  So, if I have something I screwed up (like some
> of the tags), his only option is to write a missive about it.  A few
> hundred words later, and he has spend a lot of time writing, but I don't
> understand so a few hundred words more, and I think I understand what he is
> saying, so I make a change but something else is messed up and so we go
> back and forth and all we have manged to do is write a lot of words but not
> fix anything.
>
> And I'm in the wrong branch.  I won't be the only person to do that,
> either.
>
> If git is going to be the tool, then there needs to be a pre-tool.  If that
> pre-tool is a mailing list, then so be it.  I'll send my last version of
> send, and y'all can have at it, if you choose.

GitHub <> git and you are using GitHub which has hacked on a web interface for working on stuff. I honestly think that if folks spent the same amount of time working out the web interface as working out how to use git locally using a good git gui then they would be finding things much simpler. The main issue is locally you need to actively switch branches so you always know where you are but on the web it is much easier to jump between branches and get confused.

There is a way for others to work on things together and given that’s the point of git that’s a good thing! The way to do it is to go to your patch-4 branch, edit and then submit a PR to you which you then incorporate and which would reflect the changes in your PR. In the past I have sent PRs to branches on other people’s forks on the team and had team members send PRs to my branches that I have had in review.

Cheers

Monte