Unreproducible Linux weirdness [was: Release 8.0.0 RC 1]

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:53:29 EDT 2016

In the light of my recent experience with Livecode 8 RC1 I find
something a bit worrying.

Presumably what happened means that anyone who wishes to use Livecode 8
on Linux is either:

1. Going to have to set up a plain, vanilla user account specifically
for Livecode.

1.1. This is going to be a pain in the b** if the developer relies on
other installed software
         to get his/her job done; involving constant logging in_&-out of
2 user accounts.

or

2. Spending donkey's ages on some elaborate triage system working out
which component
a developer has installed on her/his system is mucking about with
Livecode 8 and then expunging it.

As I am spoilt insofar as I have never had any software on any type of
Linux [beyond some
Windows executables playing "silly monkeys" under WINE] ever behave like
this before [parts of
a GUI not appearing], this makes me wonder if RC1 still has a long, long
way to go until it reaches
anything approaching a stable release.

Having "played" with Livecode 8 DP 15 & 16 on Windows 7 I am excited
about the new capabilities
of version 8; and it would seem a very great shame if it is going to be
unable to "play nicely" with
Linux.

Richmond.