Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Apr 6 14:25:57 EDT 2016

On 4/6/2016 1:45 AM, Monte Goulding wrote:
> I hadn’t seen the contributing to the docs guide so even though I
> know my way around GitHub it was fresh eyes on finding the docs.
> Here’s what I did: - openhttps://github.com/livecode/livecode/

That was my first hurdle. You already knew to go to the
livecode/livecode directory, which is clearly marked as an engine
folder. That's not intuitive, one would expect the dictionary to be in
the IDE directory. I know it's in the engine folder because reasons, but
only because I wrote here and you told me. I spent an inordinate amount
of time looking through all the others first.

> - see
> the “Contributing to LiveCode” section links to the CONTRIBUTING
> filehttps://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md

Second hurdle. After finally venturing into the livecode/livecode
directory I was met with a wall of activity. I scrolled, scrolled,
scrolled, and decided there was nothing I could use so backed out again.

So I went back to the URL that Mark linked to, remembering I'd seen some
breadcrumbs in one of the screenshots (someone without that link would
have quit by now.) Some images were too small to read clearly so I spent
another ten minutes clicking each one to view it larger. I finally found
the one with breadcrumbs and headed back to the livecode/livecode
directory. I scrolled all the way past the wall of activity looking for
something familiar. I didn't see anything but I found the text
instructions way at the bottom.

It discussed repositories and compiling and target platforms. I didn't
click the Contributing link because it seemed to apply to engine
contributions; that was the directory I was in, and that's what the text
discussed.

I had to write to the list just to find out how to find out stuff.

The uninitiated need a clear path to information. The top level entry
page should have its own directory labelled "Contributor Guides". In
that directory should be a link to information regarding engine
contributions, and a second link to the documentation guide. I would
have found it immediately.

I still don't know what this elusive "viewer" is, but I'm not going to
bother with it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com