Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Apr 6 00:01:34 EDT 2016

> On 6 Apr 2016, at 12:25 PM, Mike Kerner <MikeKerner at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> Just to be clear, you don't need to use gitHub, etc. to work on any of the
> files.  The web interface is easy enough to use.  You just have to get to
> the file you want to edit, Hit the edit button, make your changes, explain
> them, and you're done.  It really is very simple without having to fork,
> etc. to get there.

Not to be pedantic but the web interface *is* GitHub. GitHub is a web interface for remote git repositories. There are a number of such interfaces (BitBucket, GitLab, GitWeb etc). So to clarify: using GitHub you can avoid having to use git locally. You are actually still using git though remotely and via a web interface. Git really is a helpful thing in your toolbox and I encourage everyone to spend a little bit of time learning it regardless of whether you would like to contribute to LiveCode or not. One thing I use it for is web deployment. I can make a change locally, commit and push to the server and that will trigger a shell script to run on the server (called a post-update hook) which deploys my web app.

Cheers

Monte