Widgets' Use Cases and Bytes Added to App

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Apr 5 08:52:50 EDT 2016

On 4/5/2016 6:12 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>> Frequently we use small groups to instantiate "objects" which are
>> made of of several controls grouped together. These are then
>> replicated across some card for whatever purpose. I think that is the
>> underlying model for the DataGrid.
>>
>> Would such a small group be better created as a widget?
>
> Unfortunately we don't _quite_ have the engine features required to
> wrap a set of "classic" controls into a widget. :-/

I'd like to put in a plug that being able to do exactly that (make a
widget that is a group of classic controls, plus scripts) would be a
feature I'd very much like to see. I really don't expect to use widgets
for creating custom buttons (or whatever), but we use groups of controls
everywhere in our application and making a number of them in to widgets
that can easily be added to a new window would definitely accelerate
development.