Platform-specific file path delimiters

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Sep 24 05:15:42 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-23 20:42, Roger Eller wrote:
> Since I didn't have the good fortune of being personally tutored by the
> creator of MetaCard, and am primarily a Windows user, when I pasted a
> UNC
> path and "it just worked", I was like WOW, those runrev guys have
> really
> made this Revolution thing super easy for the novice.  Go team!

Indeed - had the engine thrown an error or some such to tell you 'no
don't do that' then you would have modified your practice appropriately.

So, whilst it was (I believe) an entirely unintended behavior, it is one
we will endeavour to still support... We just strongly recommend people
don't use (for reasons I'll explain in another post).

> Please announce this on first run if the OS isn't *nix based, or warn
> in
> the script editor.
>
> One fact regarding this anomaly is that after 6.5.2 it no longer worked
> with the preferred // either.

We've done work on file path processing at numerous points over the
versions to try and ensure things work correctly in all instances so
that's not entirely surprising.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps