Why "Objects are only deleted on idle"?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Sep 23 13:36:17 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-23 19:27, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> The "how" was pretty clear from the Release Notes.  I just couldn't
> figure out the "why".  How often to people create objects they don't
> want?

Ah - don't think about it as people creating objects they don't want...
Think of it allowing people to create objects they only want for a short
space of time.

> For ID preservation I tend to do what the DG does, hiding rather than
> disposing of controls I'm likely to need again.

That works for UI type stuff. However, the use-case here is more
batch-processing.

e.g.

load template stack
modify template stack (perhaps destructively)
export snapshot from modified stack to file
delete modified stack

Here, because you are destructively modifying a template - you can't
reuse - you have to reload then delete.

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps