Linux software suggestions

AndyP smudge.andy at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:02:15 EDT 2015

Thanks for the continuing advice.

So I now have Linux Mint (64bit) and Windows 10 systems running side by side
and I have to say I'm rather enjoying the Linux experience so far.

Installation fro an ISO Image DVD went fast and very well, no problems at
all in fact. All hardware was properly detected and identified. Network
connected first time, I've nether had that with a Windows install.

Software selected.

Pre Installed

Email: Thunderbird - great.
Browser: Firefox - always been good.
FTP: FileZilla - have used this on Windows for years
Office:  LibreOffice - fantastic what a revelation.
Graphics - Gimp ... lots to learn here.
Video: VLC Media player.

Post Installed Software

File Sharing/Backup: DropBox. - essential.
Audio: Audacity.
Photo / Raw editing - DarkTable - Linux only, I've been wanting to play with
this for ages.
Editor: still reviewing.

LiveCode Community 8.0 DP4 - This was my first experience of installing
without using the package manager or via the terminal apt install and didn't
go so smoothly. It took two attempts after working out that the installer
had to be given execution rights. Once installed I couldn't find it until
Linux was rebooted.... is this normal?

LC has crashed or frozen quite a few times, generally when using Widgets or
the Widgets Manager.

LC starts up a lot faster (about 2 seconds)wow! than in Windows and apart
from the freezing issues is very responsive. I've created several
standalones that I have been using on Windows and they are all working as
expected (kudos to the LiveCode team) and actually look better on Linux.

So so far so good, getting into the power of the terminal commands.
Will I drop Windows ... only time will tell.. but I've been working more
with Linux than Windows today, so the omens are good :-)

-----
Andy Piddock

Copy the new cloud space, get your free 15GB space now:
Get Copy

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder.
http://www.pointandsee.co.uk  - made with LiveCode