put URL

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 18 14:44:48 EDT 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:
> The dictionary says all actions that refer to a URL are blocking but if I
> execute:
>
> put URL myURL into tResults
>
> ... my handler immediately goes to the next statement and tResuls contains
> "error URL is currently loading".
>
> The url is question is to an api so I guess the error could be coming from
> there but all the error messages I've received have been wrapped in XML.

We really need some clarity on this.  I've been using LC for years, but
whatever rules might allow me to anticipate whether network I/O is
blocking or non-blocking have eluded me in practice.

These days I almost always rely on callbacks, since I know those are
always non-blocking, though even then I'm not sure of the implications
in terms of overall performance, given that it provides us the illusion
of concurrency but without true parallelism.

Could someone on the core team draft a page that would help us
understand network I/O in terms of blocking and non-blocking, and how
non-blocking code is handled in a single-threaded engine?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems