This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Sep 9 23:55:53 EDT 2015

> On 10 Sep 2015, at 11:36 am, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I believe Monte's lcvcs system involves a binary diff mechanism for comparing two stacks.
>
> No there’s no binary diff in lcvcs although it wouldn’t be hard to build something that created a repo, export the original stack file and commit it then export the new version and commit changes so you can review the diffs.

I just remembered why you thought that I had a binary diff in lcvcs. Way back when I first started looking at it I was thinking of making a diff driver which you can set in git’s config to generate a text representation of a binary file just for the diff. This would be almost perfect for the review process if we could come up with a file format that was just a single file for a stack with the exception that github won’t show the text diff so they would need to review a PR locally. It won’t help them merge but will show them what’s changed and if there’s no other branches with changes to that file they can just accept or reject the changed file. For this I think it would be acceptable to just have a script that looped over all the objects and added their long name (with stack name instead of file path) and their script to the file. It may be they want to diff properties and custom properties too but that wouldn’t be that difficult to arrange. It doesn’t need to be any special file format because it’s never going to get read in and rebuilt into a stack.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Monte