[OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 20:52:33 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM, Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But I still wonder:
> Does all these helpful and useful features of Atom, the text editor,
> justify his 208 MB installed size?

As explained in my original post, the real reason for Atom's size is
because it's written in HTML, CSS and Javascript. These are all very
verbose and the comparison with a LC install of 1GB is a good one. Another
reason for Atom's size is that it's structure has been specifically
designed to allow 'add ons' or packages either written by the GitHub team
or by 3rd parties. Some of these packages are automatically installed
others you can choose to install. Again in many ways you can compare this
to the looking inside the LC IDE and seeing the many stacks that make it up
and that there are pluggin stacks from 3rd party developers which are
automatically included with your install.

I Imagine if you stripped out all the stuff within LC that wasn't related
to the Script Editor, i.e. the Standalone Builder, the Debugger, the
Dictionary, the User Guide so that all you could do was write scripts (but
no compilation errors on Apply) then I imagine you'd still be left with an
app > Atom.

Is it worth it? Only you can tell. Is LC worth 1GB? Sure I'd like it to be
leaner and faster, but I also want ALL the ease of use and ALL the
features. I believe speed increases can be achieved through better
optimisation and that wont necessarily translate to a smaller install. I
believe just making LC smaller will not necessarily make it faster or
better. The same applies to Atom, it either is another tool that can help
you be more productive, or it isn't. It's size, in these days of multi-TB
HDs, is of a tertiary concern, with other factors weighing much more
heavily as to is worth to you.