glx2

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:38:00 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net>
wrote:

> 6.6.5? Really?
> That was so buggy I uninstalled it right after installation.

Hhmmm, interesting. 6.6.5 is rock solid for me on OS X 10.4.x, 10.5.x and
10.9.x. In the case of Tiger and Leo that's even on some old PPC machines.

Most new stuff I do in LC7, anything quick and dirty I'm using LC8 more and
more, but my biggest project is well and truly 6.6.5. I'm going to upgrade
it to LC7 tomorrow but thankfully tomorrow never comes ;-) The code dates
back to HC, when I knew nothing, and then progressed through the time that
I thought I knew something; which was really dangerous! Most people's pride
and joy is the result of a bottle of wine and good cheese; my 'baby' is a
cat skinning exercise gone horribly wrong. Honestly the 'thing' is a
Frankenstein of code and parts* that has been hobbled together as I've
convinced myself that I know what I'm doing. Realistically it shouldn't
work - the fact it does is a testament to xTalk and the genius of Bill
Atkinson and those who've carried on that vision.

Very grateful to the LC Team for making 6.6.5 for those of us with working
antiques.

NOT suggesting that you have to do the same :-) GLX2 is open source right,
so people are free to fix it to meet their requirements.

* It started out as single Stack, multi-Card format and worked on files
that I downloaded and preprocessed using various other programs. It then
morphed into a front-end to a mySQL DB with a single Card Main Stack and
multiple single Card Sub-Stacks adding AppleScript and Shell to auto
include the preprocessing and now it talks... to the Internet directly.