"lineAtOffset"?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Oct 29 15:24:14 EDT 2015

On 10/29/2015 12:37 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>  > So my gut feeling is, for smaller strings the time it takes is really
>  > inconsequential. For larger strings it seems like adding an argument
>  > to the existing function to designate what data you want returned
>  > would suffice.
>
> What would that syntax look like?

I sort of like this idea. There could be an extra parameter in the
lineOffset function:

  get lineOffset("foo",tText,"text")

The third parameter could be either "text" or "number". If the third
param is missing, or if it's "number", then we get the number back as we
do now. If it's "text" we get the text value. That retains backward
compatibility.

"Text" and "number" are just suggestions; the actual words could be
anything that describes the values appropriately.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com