"lineAtOffset"?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 29 13:48:16 EDT 2015

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > You know what would be really useful for this is the old Hypercard
 > indexing engine! ;-)

IIRC HyperCard's "hint bits" was a bitmap index of terms in fields
across cards, useful for its find command but not lineoffset.

A while back I had too much time on my hands and started exploring ways
we might make bitmap indices in LC, per:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitmap_index>

But as things go I had to get back to real work so I never got any
further with that than I did experimenting with Bloom filters:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_filter>

They're very different but both useful in a wide range of contexts, so
if any of you happens to have code for making and using those in LC
please feel free to share.

Even with LC's handy bitwise operators, I suspect making either of those
efficiently would be best left to an external, even better since there's
tons of sample code lying around for them in other languages.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems