What is "Open Language"?

David Bovill david at viral.academy
Wed Oct 28 19:38:41 EDT 2015

>From my point of view Open Language is the most important aspect of
LiveCode. Without it on the timeline I would not be using LiveCode today.
I'd be working purely in NodeJS I suspect.

On Tuesday, 27 October 2015, Mark Waddingham <mark at livecode.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','mark at livecode.com');>> wrote:

> On 2015-10-26 17:36, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> I was merely having fun with some of expectations among the readers
>> here for what Open Language might be used for.
>>

> Well, I'm glad you are having fun :P
>
> Personally, I don't mind comma-delimited arguments, and am generally
>> happy with any syntax that let's me get my work done.
>>

> Interesting - I suspect that other people might not be quite so 'on board'
> with your attitude towards the importance of English-like syntax to
> LiveCode (and xTalks in general).

I'm one of those :)

> I'm fine with whatever there's budget to provide to let folks explore
>> novel syntax, even more so with your reminder here that Open Language
>> is among the last of the enhancements in queue, long after being able
>> to play a video file on Linux without crashing and other less
>> glamorous but useful things.
>>

> Unfortunately, language and features are intertwined. You can't have
> features without a way to access them, and a language with no features is
> useless.

Mark is spot on as far as I can judge in terms of the need and emphasis on
planning long term for the future of the language itself. I beleive that it
is essential that the literate aspects of the programming language are
revitalised, not just because it is what makes the language unique, but
also because it will become increasingly important over time.

As code and coding skills become universally important, taught in every
school, and the basis for a great deal of the functioning of society (and
not just business), a language which is comprehensible (literate) will
become ever more important (and not just in schools).

I worry more about the speed of adoption of community engagement - it's
getting better, but I'd like to see (and contribute to more) open source
library, and documentation efforts.