What is "Open Language"?

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Mon Oct 26 13:17:59 EDT 2015

[FAIR WARNING: BLOVIATION TO FOLLOW]

Mark Waddingham wrote:

> Of course, whilst intellectually interesting, the reality is that
> computers have gotten pretty darn good (and continue to get better) at
> approximating the outward effects of the human brain in every increasing
> areas; which means whether or not their computational models are
> equivalent or not is really not that relevant on a day-to-day basis.

I proceed on the assumption you are talking about artificial intelligence. If not, read no further.

If by "approximating" you really meant "simulating" I'm right there with you. But if you meant something like "approaching functional identity" I couldn't disagree more. I could theoretically express a mathematical model of a kitchen table so intricate that it took into account every variance in color, density, size, weight etc. and the minor vairances of each aspect in an extremely granular three dimensional space. But the mathematical model would never become a table. Maybe I do this using a binary model, or perhaps an analog one would be better.

If I could then render the table into some kind of three dimensional image, I might be able to produce a very convincing replica of the table, so that you could not tell the difference with the naked eye. Just don't try to put anything *ON* the table. It's not a table, it is a model of one. A simulation.

I am even less convinced that you can reproduce what we call Rational Thought with a computer. It is not really certain what the phenomenon is. I know there is a theory that the massive numbers of synapses in the brain are responsible for producing self awareness, and eventually rational thought, but if so then I cannot regard rational thought itself as anything but an illusion. An accident. A byproduct of biological order on an immense almost unimaginable scale.

And if that is what I, devoid of my body am, and you can eventually reproduce me in a laboratory, without all the negative aspects attached to the biological creature I call "me", well then shoot me off into space and open the hatch, because at that point it will be obvious that everything I thought mattered was really only an illusion.

Bob S