What is "Open Language"?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 26 12:36:38 EDT 2015

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > On 2015-10-24 18:53, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Two questions:
 >>
 >> 1. Do we have a projected timeline for that?
 >
 > LiveCode 9.
 >
 >> 2. Isn't the goal so that we can have 10,000 different, often
 >> incompatible and sometimes confusing, custom syntax options for doing
 >> basic things like setting the rect of a button?  :)  (This is why I
 >> get food thrown at me while speaking at LiveCode conferences)
 >
 > That seems like quite an odd 'goal' to have...

Agreed.  Apparently the combination of both a smiley face and a
reference to having food thrown at me wasn't enough to clarify that I
wasn't being serious with that wording.

I was merely having fun with some of expectations among the readers here
for what Open Language might be used for.

Personally, I don't mind comma-delimited arguments, and am generally
happy with any syntax that let's me get my work done.

I'm fine with whatever there's budget to provide to let folks explore
novel syntax, even more so with your reminder here that Open Language is
among the last of the enhancements in queue, long after being able to
play a video file on Linux without crashing and other less glamorous but
useful things.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems