Open Language and stability

hh hh at livecode.org
Sun Oct 25 10:14:37 EDT 2015

> Graham Samuel wrote:
> The discussion about Open Language is interesting, and the idea may well be a good thing. But I for one would rather hear that for the actual development team, delivering a rock-solid version of LiveCode on all supported platforms is taking a massive priority over even thinking about this stuff. Peter Brett, can you reassure me, as a member of the use list?

They do take priority. Look at the output. Especially PeterBrett with HTML5, where he also has to be at the top of new internet wording/language. By coding only he is not challenged ("er ist unterfordert" in german words).

And honestly, RichmondMatth demonstrates here once again his wonderful treasury of words, he should write a monthly feuilleton "Around LiveCode", with annotations by MarkWieder (I love his impish humour).

There were a lot of really good arguments in this discussion, we need time to think about it.

Perhaps MarkWadd and the team should think from time to time about a basic set of words and phrasing options oriented on (the idea of) Ogden's Basic English?
Currently commandNames+functionNames+constantNames+propertyNames add up to over thousand words, Ogden's first list had 800 words.

Open language doesn't mean to only to add words to the basic set of words, one could also start with diminishing to #codeEssentials and add to that.

No problems will arise, there will be a translator to the #codeEssentials, just as there is one from English to Ogden's Basic English.