What is "Open Language"?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:05:36 EDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com
> wrote:

> Well it doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t implement the additional
> variable in repeat. It just means you would need to do so directly in the
> engine. Out of interest I just took a look ant it wouldn’t be that tricky
> to do and at the same time you could support a repeat index variable on all
> the repeat styles. Because of that I’d suggest calling it a counter rather
> than index as index could get confusing in repeat with.
>
> repeat for each line tLine in tText with counter tCounter
> repeat for 10 with counter tCounter
> repeat with tIndex = 1 to 10 step 2 with counter tCounter
> repeat while condition with counter tCounter
> repeat forever with counter tCounter
>
> Not sure if I missed anything
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

The beauty of open language (in my dreams, perhaps not the spec) would be
that:

1. No one would have to dig into the engine to implement something like
this.
2. You could release your "counter" version, I could release my "index"
version, and the community would decide which they prefer and go with that.
(or both).
3. And neither 1 nor 2 precludes something like this achieving critical
mass such that the engine maintainers decide to put it in the engine
directly.

gc