[ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 22 17:36:07 EDT 2015

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> On 23 Oct 2015, at 8:19 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> How hard would it be to make a good text editor in LiveCode?
 >
 > It might not be hard but probably take considerably more time than
 > the time it takes to read this thread and has taken for @peter-b
 > and contributors to put together the livecode language package for
 > atom. It took much less time for me to develop the linter for example
 > than I spend on debugging simple little syntax errors in livecode
 > server scripts for example. The ROI was well worth it and with Atom
 > covering the 3 desktop platforms it seemed a no brainer. I’m not
 > doing much with LCB yet but I suspect getting live script errors in
 > that will be a bit of a boon too. Whether folks use if as an
 > alternative editor for stack scripts was not really my goal when
 > making contributions but I’ve already found it useful for script only
 > stacks.

My question wasn't about ROI, but where I was going with that is less
interesting than your reply, which raises a question of its own:

Given that PHP, Python, Lua, Ruby, and most other scripting languages
deliver a great engine with no IDE at all, why don't we leverage the
community's and the team's interest in using external editors and just
either bundle one with LC and/or let people use their own?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems