Vector images?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:18:57 EDT 2015

On 21/10/15 12:48, Mark Waddingham wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Well, vector images are very widely used, and they do have the
>> advantage over bitmapped ones in that they don't go "all fuzzy"
>> when they are resized: that, at the very least, is a big plus, and IF
>> (??????) the Geometry Manager is 'whatever' vector images
>> would sit very nicely with that.
>
> True - but there are dragons here. One might ask the question why
> Apple (with all its power, money and technical ability) requires App
> writers to make several images at different resolutions in order to
> make sure things 'dont go fuzzy' on Retina and other high resolution
> displays. They certainly have the where-with-all to implement an SVG
> rendering library - like they have done with PDF - available to
> C/C++/Objective-C/Swift - and yet they have not.
>
> The only reasonable answer I can come up with (beyond general
> intransigence of a behemoth) is that SVG is expensive (time wise) to
> render. Far more expensive than scaling and rendering a pre-computed
> image.

<snip>

Of course, you could think about using a different vector image format . . .

I know that SVG "is" the vector graphics standard, but that hasn't
stopped any one adopting
other formats that are, possibly, less complex.

At the risk of sounding totally cretinous (not that that would be for
the first time), both Illustrator and Inkscape
can export EPS files; and if they can do that on Macintosh, Windows and
Linux . . .

Just possibly, as Inkscape is Open Source . . .

Richmond.