Looking for SVG Test files

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Sun Oct 18 11:55:26 EDT 2015

> On 18 Oct 2015, at 02:31, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> " Unfortunately, in Illustrator you cannot create a gradient that goes from a color to transparent as you can in Photoshop."
>
> Just spent an hour digging for that!
>
> Possibly that came in later versions of Illustrator ????
>
> Love, Richmond.

It’s not the same as Photoshop, but you can create a transparent gradient in older versions of Illustrator. You just need an opacity mask to make this work in Illustrator CS2, CS4 onward is much easier. I’m not too sure how this will relate to the SVG though.

Create a graphic shape and fill with the your desired colour, then on top of that create a second graphic (can be a square with the same outer dimensions as the first graphic).
Fill the second graphic with a black-to-white gradient fill (black will become the transparent part and white will be opaque).
Now select both objects, open the Transparency Palette, click on the twist arrow and choose "Make Opacity Mask”.
Your first graphic shape should now have a transparent gradient.

Have fun.

Paul