LC 8 Property Inspector

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 13 12:18:47 EDT 2015

Peter TB Brett wrote:

 > Hi Richard,
 >
 > Just because LiveCode 8 hasn't got all its eventual features yet
 > doesn't mean it can't, or indeed shouldn't, be used for creating and
 > shipping production apps. Many people are doing so quite successfully.
 >
 > "Developer Preview" is actually a misleading term for describing
 > LiveCode 8's current state.  We both sell and provide full support
 > for LiveCode 8, and in that respect it's certainly a "shipping
 > product".

Yes, good point.  I understand this audience is quite diverse and folks
use a lot of different versions.  A lot of folks I know still use v6.x,
and I have one friend who continued to ship with v5.5.4.

I didn't mean to imply that v8 wasn't supported, merely that it does
seem to have a lot of regressions (understandable at this stage), so it
seems helpful to manage expectations while those are being sorted out.

 > However, we reserve the option to change its behaviour. With LiveCode
 > 7, which is "stable", we don't have that luxury.

True, but most of my friends and clients have tons of good work they can
do in v7 as its Dictionary defines it right now.  We just need to make
sure it does what the Dictionary says it does, so it's reassuring to see
that the v7 engine being the foundation for v8 is paying off nicely for
both versions.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems