[ANN] LiveCode List Processor

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Oct 12 13:58:19 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-12 19:46, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I've never seen question marks in handler names in any xTalk I've ever
> used, so I figured perhaps it might be something specific to Builder.

It's a standard convention in some languages (Scheme springs to mind) to
indicate a 'predicate' - a function which returns true or false.

I've seem some LiveCode Script libraries in the past use it - although
not very many.

> If allowable, is it desirable?  I suppose it's a matter of taste if it
> doesn't break anything, but given how uncommon it is I'd wager an API
> for others to use could benefit from conventions developers might
> anticipate.

Well the identifier token in LiveCode Script has always been very
forgiving. However, in that does lie a problem - it restricts what
operators could be added in the future (which is fine as long as the
goal of the language is to avoid as many 'symbols' as possible).

To be fair '?' poses less of a problem in this regard than '.' - in
terms of limiting future options that have been discussed at length in
the past ;)

Certainly, we (at LiveCode) only use handler names using alphanumeric
characters and '_'.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps