Forking Versions

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Oct 9 23:56:56 EDT 2015

> So checkout is the same as syncing?

Hmm… checkout is just getting setting the state of all the files in the repo to the state they were in when you committed. It’s a local operation.

> It's the details that make any system more difficult.  For instance, when
> you want to merge a change into the main, you do a pull, even though from
> your perspective you're pushing.

How are you pushing? Push is upload to server while pull & fetch are downloading. As I said before pull is just fetch and merge combined into one command for convenience. Fetch just downloads any commits and branch references you don’t have locally.

> In the case of LC, you have to pull the
> entire project, even if all you're really interested in is one piece of
> it.

Once you have cloned the repo when you pull you just get updates not everything again.

>  You fork a project even if you're not really doing anything to it.  It
> would seem that you aren't really forking anything until you make a change
> to it, but you have a fork nonetheless.  The graphs just make it look even
> worse.

You don’t have to do that. You could just clone their repo instead of forking on github and cloning your fork if you don’t want to contribute anything…

> I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but every time I look at it, I just want
> to say "screw it, here's a bug report with the code I tweaked".

Read those first three chapters of the git book I recommended and it will become much clearer.

Cheers

Monte