LC 8 Property Inspector

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 9 13:24:03 EDT 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

> As I've mentioned in other emails on this thread, lcStackbrowser gives
> users the flexibility to organize properties into groups.  I do this by
> displaying a list of all the properties for a particular object type, from
> which users can drag and drop their chosen properties into a group list.  I
> get that list from the keys of the properties array for the template for
> whatever type of object I'm dealing with, but with this change, the list
> was suddenly incomplete.
>
> As an example, the height and width properties are no longer included.
> Their values can be derived from the rectangle property which is fine if
> you want to recreate an object or use their values for some other reason
> but I need their names, not their values.
>
> I ended up writing a handler that goes through the propertynames list and
> tries to set each one into each of the object templates to determine which
> object types it applies to, a time consuming process that really shouldn't
> be necessary.

Personally I feel your approach is quite suitable.

The properties function returns the things needed to reproduce an
object.  It's not designed to replace the Dictionary, nor encumbered
with a responsibility to make crafting IDE tools a one-liner.

Toolmaking requires writing code. Any of us making tools - you, me, LC
Ltd. - wrote some code to take care of what we need and moved on to
other tasks.

Seems a good balance of effort on all sides.

> That's all water under the bridge now but I still don't understand why the
> contents of the properties property were changed.

What specifically was the change, and in what version?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems