Basic grouches about LiveCode 8

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Oct 6 02:39:18 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-06 04:54, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Monte Goulding wrote:
>
>> On 6 Oct 2015, at 1:15 pm, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> some really long script somewhere to create every control and
>>> set every property?
>>
>>  ^ this
>
> Where can I read that?
>
> I wonder what the break-even ROI calculation for that effort looks
> like....

Exceptionally good. We moved to dynamically built menus in the
revMenuBar a long time ago, and as a result it became a great deal
easier to maintain (and a lot of bugs were fixed in the transition) -
this is essentially an extension of that work.

Having the principal components generated on-the-fly means that they can
become more customizable. For example, you've pointed out you'd like to
add a button to the revMenuBar to pop up various components. With the
old model, you'd have to patch the revMenuBar yourself, and each time we
do an update you need to update your patch.

The new way of doing things means that it should be relatively
straightforward to enable the menubar buttons to be customizable (a bit
like the 'Toolbar Editor' you get on Mac in many apps).

At the moment, the script is basically the refactored code from the
stack based revMenuBar to be but in a neater structure (the code for
various things was spread out, and in some cases very difficult to see
how changes should be made).

If you would be interested in helping to add the relevant hooks to the
revMenuBar to make it customizable based on user preference then it is
probably worth starting a discussion on such a thing.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps