Death of the Application Browser

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at livecode.com
Thu Nov 26 17:19:53 EST 2015

On 26/11/15 20:24, Richmond wrote:
> Aah, so the team isn't going to bother to listen to the Community
> because it wants to do other things;
> so it is chucking the Application Browser out to grass.

I'm not sure I follow. The application browser isn't going anywhere. If
it works for you already, why refine it any further?

If it doesn't meet your needs then wouldn't resources be better spent
improving one tool to meet everybody's needs than trying to keep two at
feature parity?

On the other hand, the LiveCode community contains many outstanding
developers. If you have an idea on how to make the AB better, please go
ahead and do so. Moving the AB to a plugin rather than a core part of
the IDE makes this much easier, both to develop and distribute (for
example, making it more difficult to break the IDE!). I'd be delighted
if someone makes an Application Browser++ Awesome Edition plugin.

The future of LiveCode is extensibility and 8 is the first step on that
journey. Widgets are one part. Making the IDE pluggable is another.

In short, the change to a plugin is a structural change, not an abandonment.

Fraser