Death of the Application Browser

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Thu Nov 26 04:37:33 EST 2015

On 25/11/2015 23:13, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Does this mean that [the Application Browser] is no longer supported?

*Everything* shipped with LiveCode is supported.  If we don't intend to
support it, we don't ship it.

Bearing that in mind:

1) In general, we have found that the Project Browser is easier to use
by newcomers to LiveCode, and easier to explain in training materials.

2) We also found that there was significant confusion caused by the
presence of both "Project Browser" and "Application Browser" in the
"Tools" menu, which was leading to users trying to follow instructions
and ending up in completely the wrong place.

3) In the LiveCode 8 development team, we made a conscious decision to
focus our resources on the Project Browser, because most of our users
(and most of us) find it easier to use.  This means that the LiveCode 8
Application Browser has received fewer feature improvements and testing
that the Project Browser.

The Application Browser has been moved to the "Plugins" menu.  This
improves the usability of the IDE, makes it easier to produce
easy-to-follow training materials, and reflects the fact that we are
slightly less confident about the Application Browser than the Project
Browser.

If you find any bugs in LiveCode -- for example, an Application Browser
that is unusable or missing -- then please file a bug (or if you have a
support contract, contact <support at livecode.com>).  The core development
team does, in fact, fix bugs.

Ali has investigated and has found that the Application Browser was
missing from the latest *Development Preview* release of LiveCode 8 due
to a bug, which is now fixed.

I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear that the Application Browser plugin
will be included in the next LiveCode 8 release.

                                      Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team