SQLite, keep connection open or close every time?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Wed Nov 25 20:00:26 EST 2015

Perfectly explained Lynn.  The SQLite website is full of caveats about
directly addressing SQLite dbs over a network, mainly because they use the
native file system locking mechanisms which, they claim, don't work very
well in a networked environment.

Having said that, the SQLite website is itself driven by a SQLite database,
which they use as an example of how SQLite can work in a networked
environment under reasonably heavy, read-only loads.  Of course they have
almost exclusively readers, except when they themselves are changing the
website due to a new release or something similar.  As you say, WAL allows
concurrent reading with one writer so even that probably isn't a problem in
their environment.

There are a couple of SQLite server packages out there (including your own
of course!) but I've never used them and not altogether sure why anyone
would go that route rather than use a db that is designed for network
purposes from the ground up, except perhaps for costs reasons.  Having said
that, I've recently been tempted to try writing some php scripts to act as
an SQLite server, just to learn what's involved.  I guess I could use LC
server instead of php too.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>