revStacks hitting my openField handler in library

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:39:41 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 7:24 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>

> The deficiency isn't in the messaging system, but the monolithic file
>> structure.  The only reason I got into this is the staggering amount of
>> space being taken for each checkpoint.
>>

> If it were as "trivial" as you suggest you should be able to write a
> plugin to handle that in just a few minutes, yes? :)

I'm not saying the system would be trivial, but that what I want would be
trivial in a reasonable IDE.

> Which xTalks have you used with that capability which gave you the
> expectation?

This is the only one I've used since Supercard 1.5 in the late 90s.  It's
not that xTalks should have its, but that *anything* styling itself a
development system has it.

> Unique among xTalks, LiveCode does provide the ability to create
> script-only stack files that are just plain text, perfectly suited for the
> limitations of modern VCSes.  Why not use that?

Actually, this is the first I've heard of that.  That would solve large
portions of my concerns.

> For binary stack files, Monte's lcVCS is being used in production on a
> number of projects. Perhaps it may be well suited for yours as well.
>
> I understand that it's there, but everything I've read so far suggests
that it is labor intensive--and that Monte misdoing what livecode *should*
have done many years ago.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462