wtf diesel?

Ralph DiMola rdimolad at evergreeninfo.net
Fri Nov 20 20:25:08 EST 2015

No word from David about what happened.  David probably hasn't had much sleep in last few days. I'm sure  he will let us know when he wakes up.

Ralph DiMola
Evergreen Information Services

> I used the contact form for emergency support requests. I got a
> response back last Saturday from David in less than an hour.
> Things were OK by Sunday. When diesel went sideways again on
> Wednesday and last night I again used the contact form for
> emergency support requests but have not received any responses
> for either of the last 2 emergency support requests. That
> being said I see that a few hours after both requests the load
> on diesel went back to LOW.

Any word on why the server load has prolonged spikes?

Is there a user on the affected machines trying to run needlessly
complicated scripts?

Many years ago there was discussion here about CPU throttling on the
on-rev servers, as we'd expect with any shared hosting service so a
single account can't dominate the machine and deny use for others (I
once heard someone say that they felt it was a reasonable expectation
that they should be able to run CPU-maxing analytics programs on a
shared host for 7 or 8 hours at a time <g>)>

It may be helpful to know what causes these unusual server loads.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems