'Quit' mystery

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Wed Nov 11 23:59:13 EST 2015

The dictionary says this (from LC 6.7.5):

In standalones, some care is needed to ensure you receive the
*shutdownRequest* message if your application uses multiple stacks. The
most reliable approach is to install a library stack or backscript to
handle the message when your application starts up.

I couldn't get this to work, so I went with Martin Koob's solution, which
did work. Note that this refers to multi-stack standalones.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

> On 11/11/2015 7:54 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
>> is it not the case that the message path goes from substacks
>> to the main stack? If so, should not a "shutdownRequest" message not
>> handled
>> in a sub stack be passed up the message path to the main stack? In which
>> case you don't need shutdownRequests in each sub, just in the main?
>>

> Yes, that's how it should work. I've been wondering why the extra handlers
> in substacks were required, I've never needed to do that and my apps have
> always quit. I'd say go with the simpler solution and if that doesn't work
> then we can figure out why.
>
> --

Regards,

Howard Bornstein