Overriding system shortcuts in OSX

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Sat Nov 7 15:23:03 EST 2015

Do you know which system-wide shortcuts OS X traps? Cmd-H is the one I
found (Hide Apps) and Cmd-Q (for which there is a LC solution). I'm
wondering which other ones we might get stung on. Are you aware of a list
of these traps?

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

> OS X traps and responds to its own system-wide shortcuts and does not pass
> them on to the app, so LC won't know about those.
>
> But Cmd-Q behaves slightly differently. OS X does notify the app so it can
> put up save dialogs or do other housekeeping. If Cmd-Q isn't working, then
> there is probably something in your app that prevents it from quitting,
> like pending messages, open drivers, not passing "shutdownRequest", etc.
>

> On 11/6/2015 4:20 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>> It's my understanding that with OS X you cannot do this. I would like to
>> make a quit hotkey so users can quit my application, but I cannot seem to
>> get that to work.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> On Nov 6, 2015, at 13:56 , Howard Bornstein <bornstein at designeq.com
>> <mailto:bornstein at designeq.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I want to command-H for a menu item in my standalone, but it doesn't work
>> because the system uses command-H for Hide Application. Even though I've
>> assigned this shortcut to a menu item, it is ignored and the system
>> command
>> is used instead.
>>
>> It seems like this should be simple but I can't figure out how to get
>> around this problem. Is there a way to override system shortcuts in an OSX
>> standalone application?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Howard Bornstein