HTML5 licensing [was: Re: Indy doubles in price because of HTML5 export ?]

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Fri Nov 6 05:08:26 EST 2015

Hi Rolf,

On 06/11/2015 09:23, Rolf Kocherhans wrote:
> Do I read and interpret your announcement (Fireworks for HTML5) correctly ?
>
> There are now two Indy license types, one with HTML5 and one without ?

There is only one Indy license type.  It costs $499 per year, and allows
you to deploy proprietary ("closed-source") apps to Mac OS X, Linux,
Windows, iOS and Android.

Optionally, customers can add on the ability to deploy to HTML5, for an
extra $499 per year.

> I had a (what was called Enterprise License) for many, many years with all
> Deployment options intakt - this recently got converted to an Indy License.
>
> You recently also introduced a new Business version which is very expensive.
>
> Now you have an another new License type called "Indy - All Platforms“ for 998$

Once again, "Indy - All Platforms" is not a "new License type".  It's
just the same Indy license, but with the HTML5 deployment option included.

> What was once ease becomes complicated, and expensive.
>
> I can’t afford to by Indy for all platforms at this price - sorry !
>
> To double the price „if I read your announcement correctly“ seems to unreasonable to me.

HTML5 is a *very* different platform to any of the other ones that
supported by LiveCode, and it is particularly challenging to maintain
the HTML5 engine in ways that the other platforms are not.  iOS is a
continually-moving target, but HTML5 is even more so -- iOS gets updated
every few months, but web browsers get updated on a *weekly* basis.

Accordingly, commercial HTML5 deployment licenses cost extra, *exactly
as we always promised*.  The crowdfunding campaign was quite clear about
this:

"The commercial license for HTML5 will be priced the same as the current
license pricing to build apps.

"It will be an entirely separate license.

"This output platform provides significant additional value for our
customers and will require its own engineering team and ongoing
maintenance thus the separate license."

> Luckily I was a founder of the HTML5 feature - I hope that this qualifies me to get
> HTML5 export with my current Indy licence for ever, or does it not ?

You pledged $99 to the "LiveCode To HTML5" campaign, which entitles you
to a 3-month commercial HTML5 deployment license with a start date of
your choosing.  We will be setting up a system that will let you to
choose the start date of your license via your account page on the
LiveCode website, and you'll get an e-mail when that's live.

                                            Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team