mySQL and accented chars revisited

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:27:06 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:59 AM, John Dixon <dixonja at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just had a thought... How would you go about handling accented
> chars if you were put in the position of using a mySQL database, belonging
> to someone else,  that had never seen liveCode before ?
>
> Sorry, I should have made one other clarification as I was sort of
supposing the data was stored in he db as utf8. It may not be. Someone may
have created a program on Win and the data is stored in a db as CP1252. You
are writing an LC program for use on Mac. All that has previously been said
still applies, the only difference is that you need to determine what
character set the db data is stored in and decode and encode to and from
that particular char set.

So whilst unicode and utf8 and utf16 is where everyone is headed toward, if
the data is from an old db it may not necessarily be stored in unicode so
you may have to do some experimenting, but at the end of the day you'll
still have a requirement to 'encode in' and 'decode out'.