AW: AW: How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 30 19:07:38 EDT 2015

Malte Brill wrote:

 >> And thankfully, warts and all, none of the issues with LiveCode are
 >> preventing Trevor, myself, and many others from shipping products
 >> made with it.
 >
 > Out of interest, how many of those have you moved to use the 7 engine?

Currently everything I do in LiveCode is done in v7.0.5.

 > Still there are areas where 7 is just not ready for prime time.

It would be useful to know which ones are affecting your apps.

 > The more importance I see in openly discussing the issues we
 > encounter. I think it does not help to point out that the current
 > state works for others.

I agree that open discussion in a community is helpful, but I don't see
the value in limiting the discussion only to what doesn't work.

I see no harm in Trevor or others noting that they're doing productive
work with v7.  Why not allow the full scope of experience to be shared?

In light of the many posts here from folks describing things they've
heard from others but not actually seen for themselves, any discussion
of first-hand experience would seem welcome, even if it's as shockingly
unfashionable as people merely having a good time. :)

 > It is more helpful to try to help identifying the areas where there
 > are issues which I believe aren’t that many anymore

Yes, despite the ongoing distraction of constant iOS updates, they've
been working hard to knock off many issues for other platforms as well.

 > however for a certain amount of apps being built that handful of
 > things are real showstoppers.

I agree that focusing on specific actionable issues experienced
firsthand is very valuable.

If there are bugs that have been submitted but not acted on and are
holding up work without a workaround, let's identify those and get them
resolved.

In addition to review of the current bug DB, Ben recently contacted a
few developers to solicit such a shortlist, and as Community Manager I'm
happy to add to that list with anything critical we can identify here.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager
  richard at fourthworld.com