How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat May 30 15:40:33 EDT 2015

On 05/30/2015 11:19 AM, Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> But... I'm not a programmer...

I''ve seen some of the code you've thrown together, and I beg to differ.

> So I get it that there may be a lot of weeping and wailing if you are
> doing industrial systems. In that world perhaps "the time has passed for
> Livecode to be considered a serious development tool."  But I think this
> misses the point about the vision of the future context(s) where
> software that is this incredibly easy to use and for such an amazing
> array of jobs... has incredible value for the masses of would be geeks
> who will never, ever worry about 20,000 of anything and who would like
> to code but not have it be so "painful"  and, as they mature, have a
> toolbox they can use to get serious work to done.

Yeah, but here's the difference: you're the boss, you can make the
decisions, you don't have to convince upper management about how new
development tools fit into the existing set; and you don't have to
manage a group of half a dozen engineers all trying to make changes to
parts of the same application in development, and figure out how to
merge their changes into one stack.

> So "the rest of us" I really believe that there really *nothing* out
> there like LiveCode that can give me this kind of freedom and create
> power to do this kind of diverse tool generation in such short time
> frames across all these usage contexts -- desktop, standalone, server,
> mobile, all working seamlessly together.

...and I'm certainly not going to argue that point with you, but really
what you're aguing for is the power of the xtalk environment, not
LiveCode in particular. And I agree, that's why we're still here today
whether we started with HyperCard or discovered SuperCard somewhere
along the way or are new converts to LiceCode. And add to those
affirmations the fact that I'm four to five times as productive writing
xtalk code as I am in C or Ruby or Javascript or whatever.
--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com