How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat May 30 13:03:29 EDT 2015

On 05/30/2015 08:07 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> In short, the developers were completely insulated from any
> understanding of the average user experience.  It simply wasn't possible
> for them to know how slow their code had become in the eyes of their
> market.

I had a similar experience doing QA work at Apple. I refused on
principle to do what the other developers were doing: using the latest
bleeding-edge computers off the line, instead verifying that things
worked across the range of systems. This led to filing some interesting
bug reports...

My favorite was finding what turned out to be a bug in the way the MPW C
compiler created its stack frames. It would have been completely missed
and shipped if I had been using the latest and greatest CPU set, and at
first the bug report was dismissed as unreproducible because of course
it worked fine on the newest machines.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com