How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat May 30 12:37:04 EDT 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> It turned out that the acquiring company is very generous with their
> developers, outfitting them with the very latest and fastest Macs loaded
> with maximum RAM and the fastest HDDs on the market.

I hit the opposite of this during my dissertation.

The Fortran compiler I was using (absoft?) was based on the Cray compiler
(yes, an odd adaptation).  Anyway, I was working with huge matrices on a
mathematically intractable problem.  This was probably in '07 o '98.

The source of the crashes finally turned out to be my allocation of a
dynamic array.

I had more memory (512mb, iirc) than any of the developers so they had
never tried an array that was larger than 256mb.  Turns out that such
arrays were bit addressed, and I had surpassed 2^31 bits . . .  I was
bemused by accidentally tripping over a situation where 32 bit addressing
was not enough . . .

Fixed dimension arrays were faster, anyway . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462