How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri May 29 23:25:00 EDT 2015

On 05/29/2015 07:28 PM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> And yes, since montes effort on lcvcs and the new flat file lcb libraries,
> VCS support is being addressed. I'm excited to build something great. But
> unfortunately, even after the transition and this new stuff is continuing
> to wow us I don't think I'll be allowed to do much more with livecode at my
> 9-5 and that bums me out. I'll have to save livecode 8 and 9 stuff for
> contract work or as a hobby/personal project.

Yeah, essentially my situation as well. Over the last dozen or so years
I've seen projects that might have been realized in LiveCode turned into
Adobe Flex (yuck), C# (not quite so yuck), .NET (yuck again), Rails (not
quite so yuck)... several things have held back and still hold back the
acceptance of LiveCode into existing development environments: the lack
of integrated version control, the learning curve, the inability to
interact with other tools, the lack of dynamic linking, etc. The biggest
hurdle is the monolithic structure, promoting cowboy coding and acting
as an obstacle to teamwork. I think the time for LiveCode to have been
accepted as a serious development tool has passed.

Coding in LiveCode is fun and I continue to do in on a hobby basis, but
I've given up on trying to use it for serious work. The promise and hype
of LC7/8 is great, but the reality just doesn't live up to it. We'll see
what the future has in store.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com