[OT] More on false timeouts and headers

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 21 17:44:35 EDT 2015

On 5/21/2015 4:11 PM, Dave Cragg wrote:
> You could modify libUrl. :-) Perhaps not an option if you have many
> users of the software. But it might be worth trying to confirm this
> is the problem:

I'll keep your notes and if I get some energy I'll see. We've been
fighting with this for 2 weeks and both the IT person and I just want it
to go away. There are currently thousands of users actively working with
the software so I'm hesitant to do anything much to it. Right now we
have a working production server using Passenger 3 (works fine) and a
staging server where we're trying to get Passenger 5 to work for some
other reasons.

To be honest, you've been more help than anyone else, for which I'm
really grateful. She originally contacted the Passenger forum and they
had little to offer outside of "your app should be handling the
chunking. Not our problem." And then they locked the thread. So we
tinkered around with dozens of things for days without any luck.

>> There is a workaround; specifying a Content-Length header appears
>> to eliminate both the "Content-Transfer-Encoding" and
>> "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" headers.
>
> I don’t quite follow. Are you in a position to set a Content-Length
> header on the response?

Yes, the server person is doing that now in her script. Apparently if
Passenger sees that header it doesn't add any of the others it otherwise
tries to append.

I don't fully understand the data flow over there, but it seems to go
from Rails to Passenger to Apache/AWS. And it sure looks to me like both
Passenger and AWS are adding headers when they think it's necessary. We
don't have much control over AWS but experimentation has shown us that
we can shut up Passenger by including a content-length header ourselves.

I'm going to show her this thread and let her decide if she should
report the issue to the Passenger people.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com