Can a script preempt substack name conflicts?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 15 15:37:15 EDT 2015

On 5/14/2015 8:16 PM, David Epstein wrote:
> With stack A already open, I open stack B and get a alert like this:
>
> "A stack "<substackName>" in file <fileName of stack A> is already in
> memory.  The Revolution UI does not distinguish stacks which have
> identical names, so editing these stack files while both are in
> memory could result in data loss.”
>
> Is it possible by script to intercept the message that generates this
> alert, and rename either the substack that is already in memory or
> the substack of the stack I am trying to open, so as to avoid both
> the alert and the risk of data loss?  My impression is that if I try
> to learn the substack names of a file I will already be loading that
> file into memory, and it will be too late to head off the alert.

I don't think it's worth it to try and hack the IDE to get around the
warning. You won't lose any data unless you make changes to one of the
duplicate stacks and then try to save it. So what I usually do is note
the name of the problem stack and quit LC. Then I restart, open the
stack I want to change, and temporarily alter its name in the property
inspector. I don't save it.

Then open the second stack, do whatever work is necessary, and then
close and remove it from memory. After that you can change the name of
the original stack back to what it was again.

When I know in advance I'm going to open duplicate-named stacks, I just
change the first stack temporarily before opening the second one. It
saves time.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com