reporting

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu May 14 19:24:34 EDT 2015

> Are 3rd party developers not charging enough to make developing tools viable?
> Is the LiveCode community not large enough to support such development models?

3rd party development for LiveCode is as Richard implied best treated as a hobby. Something to do when you don’t have any real work on. With mergExt I’ve tweaked that a bit and I offer reduced rate development where I keep the IP to sell in the suite and hopefully the sales cover the maintenance costs (they rarely do). The goal generally being to provide new features and ongoing maintenance at reasonable costs to the community and to at least try and be on par with my normal hourly rate. On the upside mergExt has raised my profile in the LiveCode community as one of the few go to guys for external or more complicated scripting development. It’s really this marketing of myself as a consultant to other LiveCode devs that makes mergExt worthwhile rather than sales. If I were in a position where that consulting wasn’t what paid the bills then I’d struggle to justify continuing with mergExt.

Cheers

Monte

--
M E R Goulding <http://goulding.ws/>