Strange Characters...

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu May 14 14:06:05 EDT 2015

To be accurate, assuming I understood the problem correctly, it works exactly the same in 7 as it did in previous versions - pre-7 libURL didn't do anything with the content it returned so what you got out was what the web server gave you (and so you would have to decide the UTF8 in script and do appropriate things with it involving unicodetext and such).

If the same code did work in 6.7 (or indeed a previous version of 7.0.x!) that suggests either something has changed on the server side, or there is more to the problem then it first appears.

We made an update to libURL to process the encoding so you did actually get strings and not binary data out, however that update was not quite correct and misses this case.

It's been logged and confirmed, thus it is on the list to be fixed. It isn't a crash or (strictly) a or (at this stage) a regression so is slightly lower priority than some other bugs pegged for the .6 maintenance cycle but it shouldn't be too hard to resolve so it hopefully won't be too long.

Sent from my iPhone