Strange Characters...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 14 13:38:18 EDT 2015

On 5/14/2015 4:37 AM, Richmond wrote:
> RunRev's recent track record seems to be that bugs (at least those
> submitted by users) get picked at "random()"

A while back I posted the priorities used for bug fixes. They are not
random; by necessity they are triaged.

> I think one of the best things RunRev could do at the moment is
> release a list of unsolved bugs alongside a schedule for sorting them
> out

The amount of effort that would take would substantially reduce the time
available for the actual bug fixes, especially since it would have to be
updated daily. There is also the fact that you never know how long it
will take to fix a bug until you've fixed it. However, the team has done
a very good job lately of testing and responding to every report
promptly as it is opened. If you want a list of unresolved bugs so you
can view their progress, it is trivial to get one by simply searching
the database.

But don't judge the team by the number of unresolved reports you see.
Before the new review system was implemented, responses were more
haphazard. After the implementation, LC asked everyone with old bugs in
the database to review them and close them if they were no longer
relevant. Many of us did that but many did not. A lot of those ancient
reports are now moot because subsequent engines have made them
non-issues, but they sit there in limbo because the original author has
not dealt with them. Again, the amount of effort required to go through
all those, re-test, and remove them is substantial. Anyone with
unresolved old bugs should test against the new engine and either close
or update the report. The team would like to remove all nonrelevant
material.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com