Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon May 11 14:20:23 EDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
> wrote:

> We know it impacted the development very significantly, but beyond the
> other two areas of concern are the size of standalones and their
> performance, and in these the impact of Unicode has not been clear.

Having just used LC 7 to make SQliteAdmin handle Unicode, I didn't
experience any real degradation in performance.  If I had taken the time to
measure the milliseconds required for various operations in the pre-Unicode
version (built with LC 6.6.2) and the Unicode version (built with LC
7.0.4), I may have seen some increases but from a user perspective, none
were evident.

The application does not handle huge amounts of data.  In general, I'm
parsing SQL statements and displaying data from tables in a datagrid.  I
use the dgNumber of records feature of the datagrid to populate it so no
matter how many rows are displayed from a table, only a small number of
them are parsed for display at any one time.

There was definitely an increase in the size of the standalone (about 50%)
and building a standalone took a lot longer but still only a couple of
minutes.

All in all, I was very happy with how easy it was to add Unicode
capabilities to this application, especially given that it's whole purpose
is to handle communication with external databases. I had tried to do it a
few weeks ago with LC 6.6.2 and pretty much gave up due to the complexities
of handling Unicode within LC.

So for my application, LC7's Unicode features were definitely worthwhile
since I had received requests from my users to enhance it to handle Unicode.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>