Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 10 20:57:56 EDT 2015

On May 10, 2015 7:31:58 PM CDT, Trevor DeVore <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, May 10, 2015, Bjoernke von Gierke <bvg at mac.com
><javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','bvg at mac.com');>> wrote:
>
>> There is no communication about any aspect other then widgets, which
>> frankly, still look like an easier way to make externals to me,
>nothing
>> more.
>

>Hi Bjoernke,
>
>I would suggest taking another look as their seems to be some
>misunderstanding. Widgets are for making custom controls.
>
>I have 20 or so widgets that I've written for a project I'm working on
>which add UI controls to the project. None of these make any calls to
>OS
>APIs. They just use the LiveCode Builder language to draw shapes,
>render SVG path data, and respond to events. I'm very excited about the
>results. What used to be multiple controls grouped together to create a
>custom control is now a single widget with property names that I
>define.
>Much cleaner and I can draw more complex controls then I could before.
>
>In the hopes that it would be helpful to others looking to play around
>with
>widgets I wrote a little about my experience in my blog. There are 3
>posts
>about Widgets right now. Perhaps they will be of interest to you.
>
>http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/

Just to add to this, *all* LC controls will be widgets, which means they will automatically respond to theming. Everything in the tool palette will be a widget.

If you import a new widget, it will also appear in the tool palette and have its own pane in the property inspector. It will act just as though it is native to the engine. This allows personal expansion of the engine capabilities on demand.

A secondary advantage is the ability to make calls to the OS, which makes them more powerful but isn't required.

There was a blog post a while back explaining how it will work.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com